Tuesday 23 October 2012

Circulation.

One thing that was questioned about this project - was circulation. How do users interact and access these pods? What technology could potentially impact the way we move through architectural space? Will we still need escalators? How will escalators change? Are moving walkways a possibility? Is Gravity even a matter of question. The options are endless.

A few futuristic visions from the 50's of moving walkways/tubes etc.





Futuristic moving sidewalks as illustrated by Arthur Radebaugh in 1959


Goodyear's proposed moving sidewalk at a sports stadium (1950s)



FUNCTION::
I started to think of the circulation as a separate entity. I want to explore the concept of moving walkways. Walkways that take you to your destination, your pod of choice. Perhaps an external element? This thinking reminded me of the Pompidou museum I visited earlier in the year. It was an amazing experience, the way in which the external escalator tube guides you to the various levels of the building. This sense of journey and movement is something I want to implement into my design. A tube element that allows the pods to feed off of.






No comments:

Post a Comment